Sunday, June 8, 2008

SATC Movie Review

I went to see the Sex and the City movie last night at AMC Courthouse with the girls. I've been very hesitant to watch the movie, but I finally caved to peer pressure. I was a big fan of the HBO series. I thought the series finale tied up all the lose ends, left us all with the impression that all the girls ended up living happily ever after, and that's really all I wanted. I worried a movie could only ruin that feeling of satisfaction. After all, can Mr. Big REALLY be the perfect man? Mr. Big was great when he swept in and out of town and swept Carrie off her feet, but would Mr. Big really be the same as a husband waking up next to Carrie day in and day out? I doubted it, and therefore didn't want to see the movie.

But, I went. And, I'm actually happy I did. I enjoyed the movie and didn't think they strayed too far from the viewer's expectations of what should happen to our favorite four New Yorkers. I left with a big smile on my face, and the desire to revisit all my old SATC dvds. BUT... (you knew there had to be a big but) I have one main beef with the movie. Spoiler alert - if you haven't seen it yet, don't read ahead...

I'm really surprised and disappointed that the storyline chose to have Steve cheat on Miranda and Big stand Carrie up at the alter, yet both couples reconciled at the end to presumably live happily ever after. Basically, the plot shows women that when the love of your life crushes everything sacred you had together, he has a really really really good reason for doing it, that reason is the woman's fault, and the woman should just forgive and forget because that man is really really sorry.

Now, I'm all for forgiveness and realize that everyone makes mistakes. Every situation is different, of course. But, still. It bugged me. Carrie was left devastated at a million dollar wedding with a bird on her head while Big got to examine his feelings and eventually get the small, private courthouse wedding he wanted. Miranda took years to finally love Steve and become a domestic goddess for him, while Steve got to shag a random girl when Miranda was busy working late and couldn't pay enough attention to him. Carrie and Miranda were left with 6 months of emotional torture, and Big and Steve got everything they wanted AND still got the girl at the end. For a series that always promoted a strong, independent woman that didn't need a man to be happy - I thought this twist did a disservice to our characters and women everywhere.

Still, all in all, I had fun. It was great to see the girls back in action. I'd recommend the movie to any SATC fan. Did you see it? What do you think?

No comments: