Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Orange Line Fun

What, oh what, is up with the metro this week? Monday morning, the bus was about 15 minutes late. I called the "next bus" phone line to see what was up. I assumed I'd get an automated service. Nope, I was placed on hold for 10 minutes to speak with an actual person. He phone the bus driver, and learned the bus was "at least 30 minutes behind". I braved the heat and walked to the metro. By Monday afternoon, an orange line train had derailed between Rosslyn and Courthouse. The commute home was clearly chaos due to the single tracking of the trains from DC to VA. At least I wasn't stuck on the derailed train! Tuesday morning, bus about only 10 minutes late. Trains were still backed up at Rosslyn in the morning. Despite leaving my house 45 minutes early, I made it to work just in time for my 9:30 start. Evening time - trains still backed up due to several trains breaking down and unloading passengers. This morning, I made it to work in record time. Was looking forward to a breezy trip home, when guess what??.... there is a "kink in the line" between Ballston and East Falls Church. Despite not needing to pass through either of those stops - single tracking AGAIN. argh. Metro webpage is currently warning that delays will continue throughout this evening. Let's hope it's cleared by morning. Of course, this all has to happen during the hottest week ever, when all the tourists, interns, and recently gas conscious locals are jamming the system for the first time. Serenity now.

No comments: